Botanical Hydrosol – Lemon Balm
e 100 ml / 3.38 fl. oz.
SOOTHING + CLARIFYING
A light uplifting lemony scent that has a soothing effect on the body and emotions.
We pick our lemon balm in the morning straight from our own spray-free Chickweed Apothecary gardens to distil using our beautiful copper Alembic Still that produces a healing botanical water (hydrosol). The alchemical process of plant distillation is an art that has remained the same for centuries and we feel honoured to be able to carry on with this very special art of plant distillation.
At Chickweed Apothecary our distillation process is performed in small batches, gently and slowly, working with the plant and the seasons.
Plant-Based. Cruelty-Free. Vegan.
WHAT IS A HYDROSOL?
Hydrosols are produced along with essential oils through the process of gentle water or steam distillation of fresh plant material.
In recent history, this water has been cast aside as it was only the precious essential oils that were the focus of distillation. Thankfully, we are now fully realising what a mistake this was and how therapeutic and very special this ‘water’ actually is.
Just like essential oils, hydrosols contain therapeutic properties of that particular plant but in a gentler form. The main chemistry difference is the essential oil contains lipophilic (oil) constituents whereas hydrosols are made up of the water-soluble constituents of the plant. They are much less concentrated than essential oils and gentle.
We believe hydrosols contain the life force of the plant in its liquid form (also referred to as cellular water).
HOW TO USE:
Lemon balm hydrosol has many beneficial uses. It's aroma is gentle and light that uplifts, soothes, bringing comfort and a sense of peace.
- Skin tonic – rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. It is a wonderful skin clarifier, and calming and soothing to irritations. Moisten with a cotton pad and wipe across the facial area to cleanse.
- Hydrate your skin – give your skin a drink with a light mist of lemon balm hydrosol before applying a serum or moisturiser.
- Refresh – gently mist over your face to hydrate, soothe and refresh your skin.
- Tired eyes – soak two cotton wool pads with lemon balm hydrosol and place over your eyelids to soothe and refresh.
- Bed linen – mist over your bed linen, pillow and pyjamas creating a relaxing haven for sleep.
- Baby care – use to wipe after nappy changes. Helps to soothe nappy rash.
- Aroma - calming and uplifting on the emotions the aroma comforts and uplifts. Gently mist around you when needed.
Store in fridge or in a cool, dark place to retain ingredients properties.
Chickweed Apothecary prioritises using ingredients that are organic and have been ethically + sustainably harvested.
FULL INGREDIENTS LIST:
+Melissa officinalis (Lemon Balm) leaves, ^Gluconolactone (and) Sodium Benzoate (and) Calcium Gluconate (Geogard Ultra)
+ denotes harvested from Chickweed Apothecary spray-free gardens
^ ECOCERT approved preservative in certified organic cosmetics (stops nasty germs getting into your botanical hydrosol)
Not for internal use. Keep out of reach of children.
If irritation occurs, discontinue use.
We recommend performing a patch test before incorporating a new product into your routine. If you are pregnant, breastfeeding or have any medical conditions consult your healthcare practitioner before use.
The information here is not intended to substitute the advice provided by your healthcare professional or physician.